Rules for Posting

Click here for iwhyawli's tongue-in-check version of GWOP's 954,012 posting rules. If you're wondering why GWOP has so many posting rules, you're not alone.

Free Tutorial

..

[9 of 13] Julie's Deleted Posts - Gum-Gate Part 2

Gum-Gate Part 2
Jul 12, 2008

As I watched this again, it remains a little baffling to me that the issue of Jodi giving the kids gum really didn’t have anything to do with safety. Not once did I hear Kate or Jon say anything about gum being a choking risk. The only thing that was talked about was the inconvenience for Kate. Laundry and stain removal was the ONLY thing that was discussed. They had no standing rule, that Jodi was aware of, when it comes to gum. Jodi has traveled with them, so she’s seen the kids get gum on the airplane. I haven’t seen this episode, but I’ve read that Jon gave one of the sextuplets gum on the ski trip. Jodi has also seen them give the kids gum when they are out, as a way to keep them quiet.

I also hate gum, but when I leave my children in the care of someone else, I don't expect them to follow all of my likes and dislikes. Jodi has seen their own parents give them gum, she obviously felt they could handle it, and they were in HER home. She ran the risk of gum getting into her carpet and on her furniture. She gave them specific instructions about the gum--they were to give it to her when they were done and she asked them not to swallow it.

When Jodi watches my kids, I tell her she has my blessing to do whatever makes her life easier. She is a loving, responsible mother, and I don’t care about stains and candy/gum when they are in her care. Doesn't an aunt have the right to spoil her nieces and nephews? I know what Jodi feeds her kids and how health conscious she is. My main concern is that I don't have to worry because my children are loved and cared for as if they were her own. That, to me, is priceless.

So keep in mind that as I watch the episode, I’m looking at it from a little different perspective than most. Those who know Jodi were extremely offended by this episode. It wasn’t the editing, but the actual comments made by Jon and Kate. She’s also had complete strangers come up to her, and tell her how sorry they are about “the gum”. Jodi never called her family and friends trying to get sympathy. She doesn’t even like discussing the show with anyone. Everyone sought her out.

Let me try to explain why this is so upsetting to watch.

Within the first two minutes of the show, I was disgusted with Kate. She’s explaining the filming of eight special days, one after the other over a span of a few weeks. She goes on to say that it becomes a lot of days for the little kids to go to Aunt Jodi’s when they’re used to being at home every day. “They’re getting tired of going to Aunt Jodi’s.” Hold on—even if that were true, which I really doubt, is that something that needs to be said? It was President’s Day, so the older kids were also at home. That leaves Jodi with 11 kids to watch. “They’re getting tired of it, and I don’t blame them.” You’ve got to be kidding me!! She actually said it twice!

I find it VERY hard to believe that the kids would be tired of going to Aunt Jodi’s house. They get to relax and have fun with their cousins. It just makes me wonder why she would say that- seemed like a little jab at Jodi to me. Maybe Kate resents the fact that the kids WANT to go to Jodi’s house? That comment didn’t sound like someone who is grateful to the person who provides their child care.

A little more than half way through the episode, they show the scene with Jodi giving the kids the gum. Later, Jon and Kate are explaining what happened during the interview time. Kate says that after Mady was done showing off her earrings-- "we noticed the gum". That wasn't entirely true. I explained in the previous post that Jon and Jodi actually inspected the kids at Jodi's house. So Jon already knew about the gum. Did he tell Kate when he brought the kids home? I do wonder how that all played out. Of course, he just sat there, letting Kate tell the story.

She runs over to Joel and screams "NO WAY!" right in his face. "Who would give you gum? Aunt Jodi just doesn't know the power of six 3 yr olds." I'm sure Jodi is very aware of what it takes to care for her nieces and nephews. It may not be all day/every day, but it was a lot more than was ever shown on TV. Then Kate says, "as I started looking, it was all over the kids clothes, like little pieces of it." Jodi told me that gum was only on the two things--just as was shown on TV. Jon actually inspected the kids with her. I guess Kate had to try and justify her behavior. She acted that way because gum was "all over the kids clothes". That gives her the right to freak out and terrorize her son--she was sooo stressed! This is again, one of Kate's exaggerations. Just on the most recent episode about the sextuplet's 4th birthday, she said Jon wouldn't like to change a hundred kids. Eight is a far cry from one hundred.

Kate then calls into the next room, "Collin, if your bear has gum on it, I'm throwing it in the trash. I'm not getting it out!" She then goes into laundry and stain removal. She says, "no more gum at Aunt Jodi's. That's just plain ludicrous!!" She goes into how they're going away and she has to pack. "Honestly, I don't know what people are thinking. I love Jodi, but I don't know what would possess her to give six 3 yr olds gum when they are in her care." More laundry talk and then she says she throwing the bear away. Collin is crying. Mady steps up and tries to explain, but Kate just yells at her, "We don't chew gum when we're 3!!"

This entire scene is just heartbreaking to watch! I feel for Jodi because I think Kate's reaction and her comments do make her seem irresponsible. IMO, her comments were very hurtful and unfair. She made it seem like Jodi was out of her mind to give the kids gum. Well, Kate's also said she'd never attempt to do projects with her own kids like Jodi does with them. Jodi isn't obsessed with laundry and messes. She knows the importance of allowing the kids to just be kids. If she chooses to allow the kids to do different things when they are with her, I don't see anything wrong with that. Let me just remind everyone that she has seen J&K give their own kids gum on several different occasions.

What I think is even worse than the comments, is the scene with Collin. I honestly wished Kate would have walked up to Jodi's house and taken out her frustrations on Jodi. She's an adult and she can handle herself. I'm sure as Jodi was watching the scene unfold on TV, completely unaware of what had happened after they left her home, she wished the same thing. Jodi felt horrible for what Collin had to endure. She would have gladly taken the "wrath of Kate" to spare Collin. Also, keep in mind that what was shown apparently wasn't the worst of her reaction.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Chokingongum said...

Wow, for someone that does not watch the show, she sure seems to watch the show.

I also hate gum, but when I leave my children in the care of someone else, I don't expect them to follow all of my likes and dislikes.
Dear Julie, Thank you for watching my children. While I thank you for following my dislike of not letting the children play with fire, I am concerned that you felt to ignore my dislike of allowing my children to smoke crack and sleep with whores. I now have a three-year old selling his behind on a North Philly street corner. I don’t even want to get into how much it cost me to clear up little Johnny’s case of the clap.

She ran the risk of gum getting into her carpet and on her furniture. Sweetie, she has a huge hole in her wall. She gave them specific instructions about the gum--they were to give it to her when they were done and she asked them not to swallow it. She wanted to use it to fix that gaping hole in the wall. You know, the one that got bigger as the kids’ ripped it open. Remember that happening when she had such control over the kids.
When Jodi watches my kids, I tell her she has my blessing to do whatever makes her life easier. Seriously, Julie drives to her sisters’ hovel a few hours and states away to watch her kids. Are they such bad seeds that nobody in her state will watch them?